விக்கிப்பீடியா:Issues with google translation in Tamil Wikipedia
Google's translation initiative, and the wilaalingnessocal wikis is greatly appreciated. The following recommendations are intended to improve the outcomes of this initiative.
- Article titles are in the English language or mixed. They should be in Tamil (Translated or Transliterated)
- Article titles are incorrectly translated, and/or formatted.
Many articles require the use of proper Tamil technical terms. For guides and references please refer to கலைச்சொல் செயல்பாடுகள் ஒருங்கிணைவு. Tamil Wiktionary has more than 1,12,000 terms. If the user needs help, request for help here
Style and Prose[தொகு]
It is critical to write the articles in a style appropriate for an encyclopedia. This style is different from that of blogs or popular magazines. Please refer to நடைக் கையேடு for further guidance.
- English word for word translation is adopted, which results in being not intelligible in the native language. It is better to first understand the sentence in the English language, then translate the information content or the meaning into Tamil.
- English idioms and phrases may not be applicable in native context. Please use more familiar Tamil idioms and phrases.
- Issue 1: Many articles have been about American pop stars, films etc, which have lesser priority on Tamil Wikipedia.
- Issue 2: Several articles replaced good quality Tamil Wikipedia articles.
- Solution: Topic selection process has been put in place, please see விக்கிப்பீடியா பேச்சு:கூகுள் கட்டுரை மொழிபெயர்ப்புத் திட்ட ஒருங்கிணைப்பு
- Many translated articles do not even follow the layout structure of the English article. Many articles are in a scramble. Please follow the guide line here or here
- Many templates of English Wikipedia are not in the Tamil Wikipedia. All necessary templates need to be translated, and localized before using them. Just copying the template names is not helpful. The information is not displayed and distorts the page layout.
- Not all images in the English Wikipedia are present in Tamil Wikipedia. Images auomatically get displayed only if the images are present in Wikimedia Commons. Just coping the image name is not helpful. This results in articles with image placeholders without any pictures. Users derive no benefit from this.
- Many internal links are made inappropriately. As in Tamil language, case suffixes attaches with the noun, internal links are given to such terms than nouns. Crudely like, [[in Chennai]] instead of in [[Chennai]].
- New red links are created with a slight difference of spelling. A crude example will be, while an article by name Delhi may be already there but referring it as Dilli and causing a red links.
- Red links serve as inspiration to create new articles only if there are used in limited number. Too many red links impedes the flow of reading. If a translator is not sure if he will create the article in future, better not to link it.