Coaching is a form of development in which a person called a coach supports a learner or client in achieving a specific personal or professional goal by providing training, advice and guidance. The learner is sometimes called a coachee. Occasionally, coaching may mean an informal relationship between two people, of whom one has more experience and expertise than the other and offers advice and guidance as the latter learns; but coaching differs from mentoring in focusing on specific tasks or objectives, as opposed to more general goals or overall development.
The first use of the term "coach" in connection with an instructor or trainer arose around 1830 in Oxford University slang for a tutor who "carried" a student through an exam. The word "coaching" thus identified a process used to transport people from where they are to where they want to be. The first use of the term in relation to sports came in 1861. Historically the development of coaching has been influenced by many fields of activity, including adult education, the Human Potential Movement, large-group awareness training (LGAT) groups such as "est", leadership studies, personal development, and psychology.
Professional coaching uses a range of communication skills (such as targeted restatements, listening, questioning, clarifying etc.) to help clients shift their perspectives and thereby discover different approaches to achieve their goals. These skills can be used in almost all types of coaching. In this sense, coaching is a form of "meta-profession" that can apply to supporting clients in any human endeavor, ranging from their concerns in health, personal, professional, sport, social, family, political, spiritual dimensions, etc. There may be some overlap between certain types of coaching activities.
Career coaching focuses on work and career and is similar to career counseling. Career coaching is not to be confused with life coaching, which concentrates on personal development. Another common term for a career coach is career guide.
Co-coaching is a structured practice of coaching between peers with the goal of learning improved coaching techniques.
Coaching in education is seen as a useful intervention to support students, faculty and administrators in educational organizations. For students, opportunities for coaching include collaborating with fellow students to improve grades and skills, both academic and social; for teachers and administrators, coaching can help with transitions into new roles.
Life coaching is the process of helping people identify and achieve personal goals. Although life coaches may have studied counseling psychology or related subjects, a life coach does not act as a therapist, counselor, or health care provider, and psychological intervention lies outside the scope of life coaching.
In sports, a coach is an individual that provides supervision and training to the sports team or individual players. Sports coaches are involved in administration, athletic training, competition coaching, and representation of the team and the players.
- Passmore, Jonathan, தொகுப்பாசிரியர் (2016) . Excellence in Coaching: The Industry Guide (3rd ). London; Philadelphia: Kogan Page. பன்னாட்டுத் தரப்புத்தக எண்:9780749474461. இணையக் கணினி நூலக மையம்:927192333. https://books.google.com/books?id=-_ADCwAAQBAJ.
- Renton, Jane (2009). Coaching and Mentoring: What They Are and How to Make the Most of Them. New York: Bloomberg Press. பன்னாட்டுத் தரப்புத்தக எண்:9781576603307. இணையக் கணினி நூலக மையம்:263978214.
- Chakravarthy, Pradeep (20 December 2011). "The Difference Between Coaching And Mentoring". Forbes. பார்த்த நாள் 4 July 2015.
- coach, Online Etymology Dictionary, 4 July 2015 அன்று பார்க்கப்பட்டது More than one of
- Cox, Elaine; Bachkirova, Tatiana; Clutterbuck, David, தொகுப்பாசிரியர்கள் (2014) . The Complete Handbook of Coaching (2nd ). Los Angeles; London: Sage Publications. பன்னாட்டுத் தரப்புத்தக எண்:9781446276150. இணையக் கணினி நூலக மையம்:868080660.
- Wildflower, Leni (2013). The Hidden History of Coaching. Coaching in practice series. Maidenhead: Open University Press. பன்னாட்டுத் தரப்புத்தக எண்:9780335245406. இணையக் கணினி நூலக மையம்:820107321. https://books.google.com/books?id=IKGSyKsY-hkC.
- Cox, Elaine (2013), Coaching Understood: a Pragmatic Inquiry into the Coaching Process, Los Angeles; London: Sage Publications, ISBN 9780857028259, OCLC 805014954 More than one of
|isbn=specified (உதவி); More than one of
- Christian van Nieuwerburgh (2012). Coaching in Education: Getting Better Results for Students, Educators, and Parents. Professional Coaching Series. London: Karnac Books. பன்னாட்டுத் தரப்புத்தக எண்:9781780490793. இணையக் கணினி நூலக மையம்:778418798. https://books.google.com/books?id=XcO5DRcAGqIC.